Saturday, March 8, 2008

Revisited Continued

I left off yesterday discussing that first visit to the doctor's office and them not really finding anything other than a possible virus; but definitely not the flu.


The First Night of Pain

Chels of course stayed up and I tried to keep her comfortable.  By dinner time she was in so much pain she cried and whined.  Now, this is not the type of whining and crying where you tell a child to hush and they stop.

This crying had that, "Mom, please take this pain away" type sound.  The type of cry that pleads for someone to help.  Yet there was nothing I could do!

I did call her doctor and upon discussing the situation, we decided we would take her back, again in the morning.  So, I did.

What The Doctor Thinks

This visit actually provided more information; but still no diagnosis.  Her pediatrician noted that her joints were slightly swollen, some were warm to the touch and upon manipulation Chels was in quite a bit of pain.

Not only were your toes, fingers, knees, neck and head hurting, but the muscles in her legs were also painful.

At this point the only choice the doctor felt we had, was to do extensive blood work.  Not only did they test for Lupus and Rheumatoid Arthritis, but her doctor requested that Chels's blood be tested for Epstein Bar Virus (EBV), Cytomegalavirus (CMV) and I think that there was another one but not sure. 

After the blood was drawn, we (Chels, me and the doctor) had a discussion about what we should do next.  Her doctor decided to make Chels an appointment with a Pediatric Rheumatologist and we were left to go home and wait.

Watching your child in pain and having to take high doses of ibuprofen is not fun, but by that Friday Chels was feeling somewhat better.  Although most of the symptoms had eased up, they were totally gone.

By the time we found out Chels's blood results (which were negative) and she visited the Rheumatologists; the worst of the symptoms had subsided.

Isn't that always the case?  Our vehicles normally are the ones that act up then do not show any signs of problems when we take them to the mechanic. 

I was very happy to have Chels feeling better, but that didn't help with getting a diagnosis.


Her Knee

Right now we are dealing with her knee giving her problems.  While we do not know yet if her current knee issues are related; I do know they are bad.  Chels will go to school and by the time she gets home her knee is not only in a lot of pain, but is swollen and you can see on her face what it is doing to her.

Movement is still better than no movement at this point.  While it is painful, Chels says it does help some to move her knee around to keep it from getting stiff.

She had her MRI today and we have a visit Wednesday with the Orthopedist.  Hopefully soon we will know what is going on with her knee.



Demon23... said...

I am glad that she is doing better. I am sorry I have not been around much.

Hopefully you and your family can find a solution to the ailment.

~Billie~ said...

((HUGS)) That poor girl (and all of you) sure are going through a lot right now. I hope your able to find a diagnosis and solution soon. ((HUGS))