Saturday, December 15, 2007

The Foods We Eat...

I had a commenter leave me a message about my last post "Another Dumb Moment" and she gave some really good advice about watching the sodium content in the frozen dinners; in particular the Weight Watcher's (R) frozen dinner I was speaking of in the post.

This reminded me of a recent report on the NBC Today show about the foods we eat and what we think is healthy from a fast food restaurant isn't necessarily healthy. Case in point; the report compared some fast foods that we eat and most people think are healthy compared to what actually is healthy.

Did you know that a sesame bagel with 2 tbsp. of cream cheese has 177 calories more than two, yes two Egg McMuffins from McDonalds (R). I couldn't believe this when I saw it on TV and you can also play this little food game at Mens Health [dot] com.

This information comes from a book called "Eat This, Not That!" by Dave Zinczenko. He tells of so many food myths. The book also discusses "what restaurants don't want you to know". It really is amazing reading some of the information provided in this book; what we thought we knew; we really didn't.

I found out first hand yesterday; yes the day I didn't eat when I should have and almost fainted. Hubby and I decided to take a trip to Arby's (R), the fancy one (that is what I call it).

I figured; okay, I will get the BLT on whole wheat, which includes two pieces of whole wheat bread, some mayo, a good amount of 'green' lettuce (not iceburg), two slices of tomatoes and a few slices of bacon (don't really know how many slices of bacon; but it was good). I also had some sweet potatoes as a side instead of fries and unsweetened iced tea.

My hubby got the Bacon Cheddar Roast Beef Melt on an onion roll, fries and a drink.

I couldn't believe when I looked up the nutritional information on just the two sandwiches that my BLT had almost twice the calories and fat as his. OMG; I couldn't believe this. Of course, being the ever supporting spouse; hubby laughed at me. What was I to do; except roll my eyes and suck it up.

I have a feeling I am going to request this book for Christmas! What do you think?

0 comments: