Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Worried Mother

I have been so worried about my daughter Chels (13) since yesterday morning.  She awoke with all over body pain and a horrible headache.  I figured flu, that is the most reasonable conclusion to draw, correct?

She does not have the flu; the doctor performed a flu test.  I do not want her to be sick, but I would rather her have the flu, at least then the doctors would be able to give her a viral medication. 

The doctor did a finger prick to see how her white blood cell count is doing.  It was low (I did not ask how low...dummy me) indicative of a virus.  By last night though I was calling the doctors office back.  She was in so much pain in her legs she was crying every few minutes and that is just not like her.

I started asking her more questions like, "Where did the pain first start?", "What hurts the most?"...etc, etc.  Apparently her feet and legs hurt the most yesterday morning along with her headache (although everything seemed to hurt to some degree).  By last night it was mainly her legs and knees.  Now during all of this she has complained of a tightness in her joints, which is a sign of some type of inflammation in the joints.

She could barely walk last night and after speaking with the doctor, we decided not to take her to the hospital because they really wouldn't do anything anyway; except makes us wait for 6 hours to be told to follow up with the pediatrician.  I do not think the doctor wanted her exposed to the numerous people who may be in the emergency department with the flu; as the flu season has peaked here in Virginia.

We went to sleep (although I don't think she slept all that well).

This Morning

Well, not surprising I ended up having to call the doctors, yet again.  This morning she is complaining of her knees and hands hurting, with the arms hurting more.  Now I have just noticed redness on her knuckles of her left hand.  They are not producing any heat that I can tell yet, but this is just getting worse not better and I have to be honest, I am a worried.

She cannot make a fist, it hurts her to bend her knees, walk, stand up straight and even sit.  She does the best laying down and being completely still. 

We have another appointment for the doctors this morning and they will draw some blood.  Keep your fingers crossed, because right now, I am really concerned for my girl.

 

4 comments:

SimplyBillie said...

((HUGS)) Oh no! Poor girl! That doesn't sound good at all. I will keep you guys in my prayers. I hope she gets to feeling well soon!

Anonymous said...

Hi Sweetie,

So sorry to hear that your daughter's feeling so cruddy. This year is so scary, though. My oldest (she's 14) has been feeling poorly for over a month and, after numerous blood tests and cultures, still can't put a finger on exactly what is wrong.

Makes it easy when we can call it something, like, the friggin' virus that just won't freakin' die, or something.

Our pediatrician did say that there were a lot of teenagers going through similar symptoms (especially, girls) but, there was a teenage boy who had the virus settle in his muscles and had to be treated as a bacterial infection.

Good thing you're going back - good luck!

Anonymous said...

Our thoughts & prayers are with you, Laura.

Laura said...

Thanks everyone. I will updating later today with new information. :)